Cambridge Technology (CT), a division of Novanta, has an opening for a Manager of the Mechanical Engineering department to lead the development of new products and enhancements to existing laser beam steering products. This position will focus on mechanical components and systems of CT s product line.
* Ensures all mechanical engineering projects, initiatives, and processes are in conformance with CT's established policies and objectives.
* Creates an innovative environment that fosters teamwork within engineering and cross-functionally.
* Directs and oversees a team of 7-10 engineers and technicians to develop mechanical elements and systems for new Cambridge Technology products. This includes Galvo scanner components and systems, motors, optical components, mounting hardware and relevant new future technologies.
* Responsible for introduction of new designs into production and working cross-functionally with the manufacturing, quality and supply chain departments as well as suppliers to ensure delivery of quality products to our customers.
* Design of manufacturing fixtures and documentation of relevant processes allowing efficient and effective introduction of new products into production.
* Establish and maintain solid engineering design principles appropriate for design, testing, manufacturing and servicing of precision devices and opto-mechanical instrumentation.
* Ensure all designs are thoroughly checked, documented and released to production per industry standard methodologies.
* Work closely with operations and quality to identify root cause and resolve manufacturability, product quality or reliability problems.
* Meet deadlines and managing of day-to-day tasks for the group. Activities include new product development, product enhancements, product redesigns, sustaining engineering and troubleshooting of manufacturing or field issues.
* BS in Mechanical Engineering or related field.
* 5-8 years managing projects and teams.
* 8-10 years designing and building mechanical systems, with a focus on electro- or opto-mechanical systems. Experience designing precision instrumentation, photonics or laser systems a plus.
* Experience with a broad range of materials.
* Experience working with suppliers across a range of component types to ensure products meet critical quality and component specifications.
* Familiar with FEA techniques and system modeling. Experience with ANSYS is a plus.
* Proficiency in SolidWorks is required, knowledge of ProE a plus.
* Proven record of accomplishment in applying relevant engineering design principles and strong process focus a must.
* Experience in Design for Manufacturability and Design for Serviceability.
* Experience introducing new products and production fixtures into production
* Deep knowledge of physics and applied mathematics subject areas relevant for the development of precision opto-mechanical systems.